It’s been 3 months since my surgery

I'm down 42lbs total from my surgery and 82lbs down from my highest!  I even broke into a  new "decade".  I'm down to 239.

I'm still in shock that it is that much.

In some ways it has felt too "easy".    In a lot of ways, I'm still struggling.

The biggest part of the struggle is because I can't eat a lot.  Because of that, I can eat some pretty crappy food and still lose weight.

I talked a lot about this in therapy on Friday.  My goal is to get to the 90/10 rule.  Eat healthy 90% of the time so the other 10% I don't have to worry about it.  I personally think it's a good rule of thumb.

I've been getting a bit snacky at night.  During the day is not much of an issue, especially during the week.  I'm so busy at work or even doing errands on the weekends that I really don't have time to eat between meals.

At night though, when I'm exhausted and watching tv, I want to EAT.  Luckily I can't eat that much, but I do want to.

I'll keep working on it.  Having less in the house is helping.  Giving into the urge is a problem though because it's creating a bad habit. 

I did try to eat a sub last night for the first time.  We were ordering out with my parents and my mother and I decided to share an eggplant parm.  I ate half of my half.  I even took half the bread off while I was eating it.  It still didn't go so well.  I ended up throwing up.  Won't be trying that again soon.  It's trial and error though.  There was only one way to find out.

I am feeling good that I planned ahead for this week and went out on Saturday to buy groceries.  I have some chicken thighs marinating for tonight and I have some salsa chicken for lunch today. 

I also bought some spinach and mushrooms as I have not been getting in enough vegetables.  Vegetables are hard for me right now.  By the time I eat my protein, I'm usually too full for veggies.  I'm going to keep trying at having them though because it feels wrong to just eat protein.

At least I have a plan.

Advertisements

About nancykerins

I am a 38 year full time working mother of one doing my best to get healthy. I had lapband surgery in November of 2010 and then had a revision to the vertical gastric sleeve in February 2012. The purpose of this blog is a therapeutic tool for me to work out my feelings and write about what is going on during this experience. If I can help others through this blog, that is just a bonus.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to It’s been 3 months since my surgery

  1. nwhiker says:

    Yay for more weight loss.
    And having a plan is always a good thing.
    I can imagine the veggie thing being hard. I mean, protein is so necessary, and since you’re volumetrically limited, 🙂 it must be so hard to balance.
    Can you eat fruit?

  2. pollyhyper says:

    Congrats on your loss and your 3-month milestone!!! You must feel fantastic.
    “The biggest part of the struggle is because I can’t eat a lot. Because of that, I can eat some pretty crappy food and still lose weight.”
    Yes, this. This is why people think it’s “easy” to lose weight, and I suppose in a way it is, but you’re not trying to get thin by way of being unhealthy, so in that respect it’s a lot MORE difficult. As much as I hated it, the thinning hair issue I had was a good thing – it forced me to evaluate whether I was getting all my protein and nutrients in on a regular basis. I’m glad to say that the hair loss has slowed down and I’m eating well, not just losing weight.
    Veggies are hard, both the texture (and gassiness of some) and because there’s rarely enough room after you eat what you are “supposed” to eat. Eat them when and where you can is my suggestion – if you have eggs, make an omelet with some spinach or chopped broccoli in it. I also have a greens powder for me and my son that I mix into juice and protein drinks. It’s pricy but for those who can’t (or won’t, ahem, son!) eat their vegs, it’s worth it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s