Surgery is done and overwith!

Yesterday at 9 AM I arrived at my hospital to finally undergo laproscopic gastric banding.

And I waited and waited and finally around 9:40 someone came to take me in.

It’s amazing how even with the earlier in the day surgeries, things can run late.  You just never know what is going to happen.

They were super busy in holding.  The nurses were running around like crazy.  I did feel well attended to though and everyone was super nice.

One of the nurses wrapped my arm in a warm towel to try to get my veins to behave a little better.  The hard thing about fasting for surgery is it makes it harder for them to put in an IV.

She tried my left hand first and even though she got good blood return, she could not get it to thread.  The poor woman felt awful as she knew that was the worst part for me and she was known for getting it the first time.  She got it the second time though in my right arm.

Next thing I know it’s 11 and it’s time for me to go in.  Before they wheeled me in the anesthesiologist gave me something via my IV and I barely remember entering the OR.

Next thing I know I’m in the PACU and they are telling me that everything went great and that I’m ok.  I slept on and off for a few hours and was finally awake around 3.

They started me out with some ice chips and when I was able to have those, I got a glass of water.   I did have a horrible taste in my mouth and that stayed there all night.  Even brushing my teeth didn’t help.

My husband came in around 3:30 and by that time they had me sitting up in a chair.  I was able to go to the bathroom on my own and get dressed.

The PACU nurses told me how amazing I was doing and that I would be able to go home as soon as they tracked the surgeon down.  He wrote a note that he wrote a prescription for pain meds, but nobody could find the prescription.

They finally tracked down a surgical resident to write the script and I was home by 4:30.

It felt really good to be home and in my own bed.

I have 5 small incisions from the surgery, they are all in my upper abdomen between my rib cage and my belly button.

I also have a big bruise under one of the incisions and I think that is where my port is for the band.

I don’t have any sutures or staples, my surgeon prefers to use surgical glue.

My parents picked up my son for me and brought him home around 7.  It was good to see him and he stayed in bed with me for a few  minutes.

I feel back to sleep around 7:30 PM last night and slept through the night until about 7:45.

I started out my morning with a sugar free popsicle.

I have also had some diluted juice and some chicken broth that my mother made.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow when I can have some protein shakes and other soups.

I also haven’t felt the need to use the pain meds yet.  I’m feeling that good.  It’s good to have them though just in case.

It feels really good to be on the other side of this journey.


About nancykerins

I am a 38 year full time working mother of one doing my best to get healthy. I had lapband surgery in November of 2010 and then had a revision to the vertical gastric sleeve in February 2012. The purpose of this blog is a therapeutic tool for me to work out my feelings and write about what is going on during this experience. If I can help others through this blog, that is just a bonus.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Surgery is done and overwith!

  1. landorki says:

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Happy Birthday! (this is the day if your new life!)

  2. nwhiker says:

    Congratulations on getting this part done! I’ve been following along and I’m looking forward to reading about your success.
    Take care, and heal well!

  3. lappymeal says:

    Aw, I am happy for you. And glad that everything went well!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s