Sleep Study is Over With!

Yesterday, I got a call that there was a cancellation and I could do my sleep study.

My husband is away, so I called my parents to see if they could take care of my 2 year old.  They were already babysitting so I could go to the support group meeting, so instead of coming to my house, I brought A to their house.  Luckily he sleeps there once in a while, so it wasn’t a big deal to him.

My one regret this morning is doing the sleep study the night before my stress test.  Only because I’m tired as hell and I can’t drink anything but water until after the stress test (which is in about a 1/2 hour at least).  I have not been drinking coffee lately as I have to give up caffeine for the surgery, but today I would have made an exception and gone to Starbucks.

The rooms were a nice surprise.  They were large rooms with full size beds.  Very private and quiet.

They put leads on your legs, chest, all over your face and there is two different ones in your nose.

Then the tech helps you get into bed and then turns out the lights.

The study has two parts.  The first part is just you sleeping.  If you qualify, the second part you sleep with a CPAP machine.

I had such trouble sleeping.  I feel asleep a little bit between 9 and midnight, but then I felt wide away at midnight and she turned on the light for me to read a little.

That only lasted about 5 minutes and then I finally went to sleep.

It was weird for me having trouble sleeping.  I think between all of the leads and knowing that I was being watched, I just couldn’t do it at first.  Then I think I was actually trying too hard to sleep since I was getting annoyed that I wasn’t falling asleep.

I did not end up qualifying for the second part of the test, which means that I didn’t stop breathing 20 times within 2 hours.  I’m happy about that as it’s a good thing that I didn’t qualify.

It doesn’t mean that I’m out of the woods for a CPAP or that I don’t have apnea though.  I still need to follow up with the doctor in about a week or so to find out my results.

I am glad I got it over with and cannot wait to sleep in my own bed tonight.

Oh and if you are worried about the "goo" in your hair from the study, it’s really not that bad.  It’s just four small spots (two on the hairline on the forehead and two on top of your head).  I did have to shampoo twice, but it came out no problem.  It was NOT a big deal at all.


About nancykerins

I am a 38 year full time working mother of one doing my best to get healthy. I had lapband surgery in November of 2010 and then had a revision to the vertical gastric sleeve in February 2012. The purpose of this blog is a therapeutic tool for me to work out my feelings and write about what is going on during this experience. If I can help others through this blog, that is just a bonus.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s